“The Measles Immunization Program was delayed due to the outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus that led to thousands of deaths. Parents must now be very serious in ensuring that their children take the measles immunization to avoid risks,” Mr. Clarke stressed. Mr. Adolphus Clarke is the Deputy Program Manager for the Expanded Program on Immunization (EPI). He noted that the exercise is geared towards protecting children against future outbreaks of the disease. He named Lofa, Montserrado and Margibi as the counties mainly affected by measles, and called on parents and guardians to turn out for the immunization. He made the call over the weekend at the Ministry of Information’s daily Ebola press briefing in Monrovia. Clarke revealed that as a result of the growing number of un-vaccinated children in the country, the ministry began its first round of periodic and routine immunization in December 2014 with an estimated 500,000 children targeted. He said the second round, which started February 1-6, registered a low turnout due to the misconception that the vaccination program was part of the ongoing Ebola vaccine trials launched in collaboration with the Ministry of Health. Clarke indicated that the Ministry of Health vaccinated only 30 percent of the estimated 500,000 children that were targeted, adding that, “The third phase of immunization will target the remaining 70 percent of the children.” According to him, Liberia is scheduled to participate in another vaccine campaign and the Ministry is working to ensure that Liberia participates in it.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window) An official of the Ministry of Health is encouraging all parents and guardians to take their children for the third phase of the nationwide Measles Immunization Program, to be launched from April 10-16 in all 15 counties.