Duterte to sack Bucor execs in GCTA mess

first_imgDuterte fired former BuCor chief NicanorFaeldon for “not following his order” after the latter approved the release ofseveral heinous crime convicts under GCTA. “So setting aside all the legal infirmities there, even if it was allowed, corruption was present. Sabihin ko lang sa inyo. And everybody will go – will have to go. Alam nila ‘yan,” says President Rodrigo Duterte. “If it was done in good faith, hindi kita anuhin. Pero kung sabihin mo na‘bayaran,’ ah that is another story,” Duterte said. “I will hit you notbecause the law was in the limbo but because of corruption. So ‘yan ang maaasahan ninyo diyan.” Duterte on Thursday said his reason forsacking BuCor officials and personnel will not be based solely on the GCTA messbut due to the alleged corruption in the office. “So setting aside all the legal infirmitiesthere, even if it was allowed, corruption was present. Sabihin ko lang sa inyo. And everybody will go – will have to go. Alam nila ‘yan,” he added. The President’s statement came after it wasrevealed that BuCor officials and personnel allegedly make money inside the NewBilibid Prison (NBP) such as GCTA for sale, hospital pass for sale and drugtransactions at the NBP hospital, among others.center_img The GCTA, which was expanded under a 2013 law,came under fire following reports that it could benefit Antonio Sanchez, aformer mayor of Calauan, Laguna convicted in 1990’s rape-murder case. The Chief Executive’s latest pronouncement,however, ran counter with his earlier stand that BuCor officials could not bemade accountable for implementing the GCTA law as the measure itself neededclarification from the Supreme Court. MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte said hewill fire all the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) officials and personnelinvolved in the early release of heinous crime convicts under the good conducttime allowance (GCTA) law. According to BuCor, at least 22,049 personsdeprived of liberty were released from 2014 to 2019 through GCTA, with 1,914 ofthem convicted of heinous crimes such as murder and rape./PNlast_img read more

Camp Notes: Dino Babers awaits opt-out decisions from multiple players

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ The Daily Orange is a nonprofit newsroom that receives no funding from Syracuse University. Consider donating today to support our mission.The media won’t have access to Syracuse’s training camp practices this year due to the coronavirus pandemic. Instead, the football team is organizing regular Zoom interviews with head coach Dino Babers and select players while also providing film from the Ensley Athletic Center. With “Camp Notes,” The Daily Orange’s beat reporters bring the latest news, observations and analysis as the Orange gear up for an unprecedented 2020 season. Follow along here and on Twitter.The Daily Orange is a nonprofit newsroom that receives no funding from Syracuse University. Consider donating today to support our mission.Less than a month before Syracuse football is scheduled to take the field for its first game at North Carolina, head coach Dino Babers still doesn’t know which of his players will be playing this season and which will opt-out. The Orange have had only one player, redshirt freshman defensive lineman Cooper Dawson, opt-out so far. But Babers has said on numerous occasions that multiple players are still “on the fence.” He’s not sure who will be available, though quarterback Tommy DeVito, fullback and tight end Chris Elmore, defensive back Andre Cisco and offensive lineman Airon Servais have all said they intend to play the 2020 season, if it happens.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“From a teammate standpoint, all I can do is respect their decision, listen to what they have to say, listen to their reasons,” Elmore said on teammates potentially opting-out. “They’re making decisions as grown men, what they feel is best for them and their family and their future.”The NCAA’s Board of Governors will meet Friday to determine if players who opt-out of the 2020 season will be granted another year of eligibility. While the NCAA’s council recommended granting the extra year, it’s not official yet, leaving players unsure of their decision, Babers said. The head coach said he’s taken multiple polls to see who’s in and who’s out, but the situation is fluctuating daily.“I’ve taken a poll, and the poll is always changing,” Babers said. “Some is over COVID-19, some is uncertainty over what the options are because those options haven’t come down from above us.”With classes at SU beginning Aug. 24, students from states across the country are completing their quarantine periods and arriving on campus.“That’s going to be the real key,” Babers said about students returning. “During the day time, you look at young people, they do a fantastic job. What they do at night affects what happens during the day.”The PAC-12 and Big Ten cited health concerns — most notably myocarditis, which was present in multiple athletes — as one reason for postponing their fall football seasons last week. When media asked DeVito last week if myocarditis specifically came up, he said no, but that in general, athletic staff had presented medical concerns to him. Babers said Monday that players and their families have discussed the health risks of the virus with medical experts.“It’s like anything else. We know the risk of it all,” DeVito said. “Obviously not to the fullest because it is a new virus. The medical teams are still trying to figure things out because nothing is 100%.”He added: “We have not spoken about what’s been going on with those Big Ten athletes.”Babers credited his players for holding SU Athletics accountable on the testing shortfall. Director of Athletics John Wildhack stated Friday that SU will be testing its athletes once per week, instead of every other week as it had done before. A miscommunication between the staff and the athletes on this protocol led to them sit out practices last week until it was cleared up and the players were tested. Once the season begins, each athlete will be tested three times per week, starting the week of Sept. 7. The Orange announced Friday that they didn’t have any active COVID-19 cases among their entire athletic department and that the football team has had five positive cases since the summer training program began.Before the season can begin, though, Friday’s NCAA decision on future eligibility could be the latest turning point on the status of the 2020 football season. Published on August 17, 2020 at 3:17 pm Contact Anthony: amdabbun@syr.educenter_img Commentslast_img read more

Browns’ 8 best coaching candidates to replace fired Freddie Kitchens

first_imgUrban MeyerIf Meyer is going to make the jump to the NFL, then why not stay close to home to do it? Meyer would galvanize a fan base heavy with Ohio State crossover fans. He has a strong voice and should be able to hire a staff that would get the most out of Mayfield.Browns owner Jimmy Haslam and Meyer have a good relationship. This is a risky hire, but it’s one that would have more of a leash than Kitchens had.NFL assistants to watch for BrownsJosh McDanielsWe know what McDaniels did to the Colts and that there’s a good chance he takes over for Bill Belichick in New England. The Barberton, Ohio, native has been mentioned in Browns coaching searches in the past, too, and it has never materialized.McDaniels is a good fit for the talent on offense, but can the Browns trust him to take the job?Greg RomanRoman worked wonders with Colin Kaepernick in San Francisco and is doing it again in Baltimore with Lamar Jackson, a quarterback the Browns have watched take over the division.Roman could bring that much-needed creativity to the Cleveland offense while at the same time leaving a division rival. That’s a win-win for the Browns, but it might be tough to pull off.Robert SalehSaleh’s rise began as a quality control coach for Pete Carroll in Seattle, and he has continued that progression as the defensive coordinator for San Francisco the last three seasons. Saleh’s high-energy sideline demeanor is a hit with the cameras, but there’s substance where that comes from.San Francisco was the “it” team in the NFL in 2018 before breaking out in 2019. Saleh is ready to be a first-time head coach, and he would have a defensive line to build around in Cleveland.College coaches to watch for Browns (Getty Images) https://images.daznservices.com/di/library/sporting_news/a8/ab/lincoln-riley-120519-getty-ftr_184v9f33k407c1pa6txok9roaz.jpg?t=-650219778&w=500&quality=80 Getty Images https://images.daznservices.com/di/library/sporting_news/ee/fe/urban-meyer-081818-ftrjpg_1w2jpm1p9mkmo1bdyua6qk23z4.jpg?t=56039198&w=500&quality=80 MORE: Browns fire Kitchens after 6-10 seasonHere is a list of the best replacement options.Browns coaching candidates: The best betsMike McCarthy This assumes general manager John Dorsey and a front office staff filled with former Green Bay personnel stays on. McCarthy took a season off after being fired by the Packers last year. He has 125 career wins, which ranks 30th all time among NFL coaches, and the well-documented relationship with Aaron Rodgers overshadows the success McCarthy enjoyed in Green Bay.Remember, Rodgers was a first-time starter with McCarthy, who could be the right voice for Mayfield.Ron RiveraUPDATE: The Redskins announced they have hired Rivera as their head coach.The Browns were an undisciplined team in 2019, much like the one Rivera inherited in Carolina when he arrived in 2011. Rivera, with the help of franchise quarterback Cam Newton, took the Panthers to four playoff appearances and a Super Bowl. He did that by walking the line between disciplinarian and player’s coach.Rivera played on the 1985 Bears team, too, and his defenses reflected that. Carolina finished in the top 10 in total defense five times during his tenure as coach. Lincoln RileyThe Mayfield tie is obvious, and Riley has led three College Football Playoff runs at Oklahoma. If Riley does want the NFL, then why not go with a quarterback he knows? That offensive scheme can work in the pros, and Mayfield might regain his rookie form with his old coach. The Browns fired Freddie Kitchens on Sunday night after a disastrous, 6-10 season in which the preseason hype did not match the record on the field. Kitchens was Cleveland’s ninth different head coach since the franchise returned in 1999, and the next coach will inherit a talented roster that includes Baker Mayfield, Odell Beckham Jr. and Myles Garrett.That coach will be expected to get this team back to the postseason for the first time since the 2002 season. Then again, Mayfield played a role in retaining Kitchens. Is this the message the Browns want to send?Matt RhuleWe would put Brian Kelly or Jim Harbaugh here, but we think those two will stay put as well-known coaches in the college game. Rhule, however, makes for an interesting candidate because of his track record at Temple and Baylor.He develops NFL talent well and showed he can manage a rebuild with Baylor. This would be a longshot given the other candidates on the board, but it’s a name that might get tossed around if some of those big names fall through.last_img read more