The Latest: Virus scraps UNC football game with Charlotte

first_imgThe Latest: Virus scraps UNC football game with Charlotte Associated Press Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___Saturday’s game between No. 12 North Carolina and Charlotte has been canceled after the 49ers announced contact tracing had depleted the offensive line. September 17, 2020center_img ___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports Charlotte announced the decision Thursday, two days before the Conference USA program was to visit Chapel Hill for the first meeting between the schools.The school said in a statement there had been three positive coronavirus cases among football players discovered through regular testing during the past two weeks. The school didn’t specify how many offensive linemen were affected by contract tracing, saying only it was “several.”“We’re extremely disappointed to have to cancel our game at North Carolina,” athletic director Mike Hill said. “While I know our team is heartbroken, due to the number of players in quarantine, we could not safely play. We very much appreciate the University of North Carolina working with us to schedule this game.”UNC and Charlotte announced Aug. 8 that they would meet six weeks later. That came after the Atlantic Coast Conference revamped its scheduling model when it decided to go forward with football, allowing for 10 league games and one nonconference matchup played in the home state of the member school.The Tar Heels opened last weekend with a win against Syracuse, but now has two straight open weekends on the schedule for now. North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham said the school will look for a replacement game on Sept. 26 while coach Mack Brown said the Tar Heels “completely understand and appreciate Charlotte’s transparency” in the decision. last_img read more

Multiple SU players receive Inside Lacrosse Preseason All-American honors

first_img Published on December 18, 2018 at 11:07 pm Contact Kaci: klwasile@syr.edu Comments Three Syracuse players were named to the Inside Lacrosse preseason All-American team. Senior attack Nicole Levy and juniors Kerry Defliese (defense) and Emily Hawryschuk (attack) each earned honorable mentions.Last season, Levy was on the Tewaaraton watch list. She was second on the team in scoring with 41 goals and recorded 10 assists. Against Virginia Tech, Levy found the back of the net six times despite SU losing 15-14.Defliese earned an All-Atlantic Coast Conference first-team nod last season. She caused a career-high 15 turnovers, the second highest on the team. Defliese started all 19 games on defense and grabbed 20 ground balls.Hawryschuk also received All-ACC honors in her sophomore season. She led the team in goals (53) as well as points (61). Hawryschuk recovered 20 ground balls and in the last seven games of the season, she took a majority of the draw controls, winning a career-high (34).Along with the three players earning preseason honors, Syracuse was ranked 12th in Inside Lacrosse’s preseason top-25 ranking.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textcenter_img Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

Džumhur in Quarterfinals of the ATP Challenger in Mersin

first_imgB&H tennis player Damir Džumhur is qualified in the quarterfinals of the ATP Challenger tournament in Mersin (Turkey), worth 64.000 Euros.Džumhur in the second round defeated Egor Gerasimov from Belarus with a result 6:3, 7:6 (7/1).The 22 years old tennis player from Sarajevo will play against Italian Thomas Fabbian  for qualification in the semifinals, the 177th player on the ATP list.(Source: Fena)last_img