By Frederick HalleyTORONTO, Canada — Enterprise Sports Club are brimming with confidence after a dream debut season in the Ontario Softball Cricket League (OSCL) 2016 season, playing unbeaten in their 13 preliminary round games which ended last Sunday at the Woburn Number Two ground here.Competing in Conference B, Enterprise went unscathed in the regular season (20 overs); their only blunder being a loss to GTA Storm in the final of the Norman Sue Bakery-sponsored 15-overVice-captain Seenarine Narine poses following his unbeaten knock of 88.tournament. They ended the season with 85 points, three more than rivals GTA Storm with 82.Enterprise, however, salvaged some revenge when they defeated GTA Storm in the penultimate game of the regular season last Saturday at the Ashtonbee Number Two ground, both teams being unbeaten at that stage.And with the playoffs set to start on Saturday, the feeling around is that these two teams will clash once more in the Conference final which promises to be a grand showdown.Both teams are supremely confident they are capable of getting past the other but they must first get to the final after contesting quarter-final encounters against lesser opponents. Enterprise are scheduled to play 3 Counties EDB in Saturday’s quarter-final while GTA Storm oppose Cougars.Enterprise sent a clear message to their opponents in their final game, recording a massive 108-run victory over Restoration Warriors at Woburn.Led by boundary-studded innings of 92 from Sharaz Hamid and an undefeated 88 from vice-captain Seenarine Narine, Enterprise piled up 235 for three in their allotted 20 overs before limiting Restoration Warriors to 127 for eight in 20.Hamid clobbered eight sixes and three fours while Narine’s knock contained seven sixes and six fours.For Restoration Warriors, former Guyana Chronicle sports reporter Ravendra Madholall was unbeaten on 40 while Navin Misir hit 23.On Saturday, Enterprise batted first and scored 124 for seven and restricted GTA Storm to 96 all out. Skipper Rabindra Diaram led from the front with 30 while Hamid (30) and Avinash Singh (25) lend supporting knocks. Diaram also came back to capture three for 14, Terrence Van Sertima two for 14 and Imtiaz ‘Crasher’ Ali two for 17.
Facebook Twitter Google+ The Daily Orange is a nonprofit newsroom that receives no funding from Syracuse University. Consider donating today to support our mission.The media won’t have access to Syracuse’s training camp practices this year due to the coronavirus pandemic. Instead, the football team is organizing regular Zoom interviews with head coach Dino Babers and select players while also providing film from the Ensley Athletic Center. With “Camp Notes,” The Daily Orange’s beat reporters bring the latest news, observations and analysis as the Orange gear up for an unprecedented 2020 season. Follow along here and on Twitter.The Daily Orange is a nonprofit newsroom that receives no funding from Syracuse University. Consider donating today to support our mission.Less than a month before Syracuse football is scheduled to take the field for its first game at North Carolina, head coach Dino Babers still doesn’t know which of his players will be playing this season and which will opt-out. The Orange have had only one player, redshirt freshman defensive lineman Cooper Dawson, opt-out so far. But Babers has said on numerous occasions that multiple players are still “on the fence.” He’s not sure who will be available, though quarterback Tommy DeVito, fullback and tight end Chris Elmore, defensive back Andre Cisco and offensive lineman Airon Servais have all said they intend to play the 2020 season, if it happens.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“From a teammate standpoint, all I can do is respect their decision, listen to what they have to say, listen to their reasons,” Elmore said on teammates potentially opting-out. “They’re making decisions as grown men, what they feel is best for them and their family and their future.”The NCAA’s Board of Governors will meet Friday to determine if players who opt-out of the 2020 season will be granted another year of eligibility. While the NCAA’s council recommended granting the extra year, it’s not official yet, leaving players unsure of their decision, Babers said. The head coach said he’s taken multiple polls to see who’s in and who’s out, but the situation is fluctuating daily.“I’ve taken a poll, and the poll is always changing,” Babers said. “Some is over COVID-19, some is uncertainty over what the options are because those options haven’t come down from above us.”With classes at SU beginning Aug. 24, students from states across the country are completing their quarantine periods and arriving on campus.“That’s going to be the real key,” Babers said about students returning. “During the day time, you look at young people, they do a fantastic job. What they do at night affects what happens during the day.”The PAC-12 and Big Ten cited health concerns — most notably myocarditis, which was present in multiple athletes — as one reason for postponing their fall football seasons last week. When media asked DeVito last week if myocarditis specifically came up, he said no, but that in general, athletic staff had presented medical concerns to him. Babers said Monday that players and their families have discussed the health risks of the virus with medical experts.“It’s like anything else. We know the risk of it all,” DeVito said. “Obviously not to the fullest because it is a new virus. The medical teams are still trying to figure things out because nothing is 100%.”He added: “We have not spoken about what’s been going on with those Big Ten athletes.”Babers credited his players for holding SU Athletics accountable on the testing shortfall. Director of Athletics John Wildhack stated Friday that SU will be testing its athletes once per week, instead of every other week as it had done before. A miscommunication between the staff and the athletes on this protocol led to them sit out practices last week until it was cleared up and the players were tested. Once the season begins, each athlete will be tested three times per week, starting the week of Sept. 7. The Orange announced Friday that they didn’t have any active COVID-19 cases among their entire athletic department and that the football team has had five positive cases since the summer training program began.Before the season can begin, though, Friday’s NCAA decision on future eligibility could be the latest turning point on the status of the 2020 football season. Published on August 17, 2020 at 3:17 pm Contact Anthony: firstname.lastname@example.org Comments
pic.twitter.com/GlP7SFk25y— The Alliance (@TheAAF) April 6, 2019Reports on Tuesday said the Alliance would shut down immediately, two weeks before the scheduled completion of its 10-week regular season. The league reportedly was in danger of going under as early as Week 2, before investor Tom Dundon pledged $250 million in exchange for majority ownership of the league. Dundon reportedly spent $70 million after taking over control.WHY IS THE AAF FOLDING? Who’s to blame for league’s demise?Dundon threatened last month to shutter the league if he couldn’t reach an agreement with the NFL Players Association on loaning NFL players to AAF teams. The Alliance was intended to be a developmental league where NFL players could receive game experience.TIMELINE: Events leading up to reported end AAF players have complained about being evicted from their residences and being stuck with credit card bills since the league’s shutdown. League co-founder Bill Polian said Friday (per Pro Football Talk) that he and other AAF execs were working to help solve problems. RIP, AAF: League’s eight best momentsThe Alliance announced Thursday that players were authorized to sign with NFL teams. The Alliance of American Football announced late Friday what had been reported days earlier.The startup league sent out a tweet apologizing for its decision to suspend operations but declined to give the reasons, citing “legal processes.”