KOLKATA, India (CMC):West Indies Women assistant coach Ezra Moseley believes the best is yet to come from the Caribbean side’s batting, and hopes it can click in tomorrow’s final of the Women’s Twenty20 World Cup against nemesis Australia.Playing in Thursday’s semi-final against New Zealand Women in Mumbai, West Indies Women rattled up 143 for six, and then bowled superbly to defend the total and come away with a six-run win.Moseley said based on the quality in the batting unit, West Indies Women had the ability to score in excess of 143.”I’m not certain that our batting has really clicked yet. We are better than 140 on a good pitch,” the former West Indies fast bowler said.”And I am hoping that Deandra (Dottin) and the captain (Stafanie Taylor) and the others could really chip in and give us a big total in the final that we can defend if we bat first.”Taylor has been the most consistent batsmen in the series with scores of 40, 40, 35, 47 and 25 in her five innings in the tournament.INCONSISTENT BATTINGThe remainder of the batting unit has been inconsistent, however, and Britney Cooper’s career-best 61 in the semi-final was the first half-century in the tournament for the Windies Women.Moseley said Cooper had played well despite carrying a slight niggle.”She played well. The coach Vasbert Drakes said he was going to send her at number three and she really batted well, although she was carrying a slight side strain,” Moseley noted.The semi-final win saw the Windies Women finally break their jinx and reach the final of a Twenty20 World Cup for the first time, after bowing out at the final-four stage at the previous three tournaments.Moseley said Thursday’s win had been inspired by Cooper’s half-century coupled with tenacious bowling.”Britney Cooper has not really done a lot with the bat in this series. She came good … and it was good to see but I thought (with) the bowling, most of them kept their nerves and did the business for West Indies.”
Ras Malaku Lorne, Jamaica’s World Chess Federation (FIDE) Candidate Master, left the island yesterday for Las Vegas, Nevada, where he will compete in the 2015 edition of the Millionaire Chess Open.The tournament opened yesterday and will end on October 12.Lorne guaranteed his participation after winning the thrilling Jamaican satellite qualifying event held August 5-9, 2015.One of Jamaica’s best players for the past 12 years, Lorne had his break-out year in 2003 when he won the NM Dr Harold Chan Open tournament ahead of stalwarts such as Shane Matthews, the Jamaican legend and many-time national champion. That same year, he tied for second in the Jamaican Senior Championship and was awarded the National Master title.Some of his other outstanding achievements include playing board one for his alma mater, Wolmer’s Boy’s School, and winning the All-Island High Schools championship; winning the New Year’s Open (2006); winning the New Providence Invitational, Bahamas (2006); and winning the John Powell Memorial Open (2014).He debuted for Jamaica at the World Chess Olympiad in Calvia, Mallorca, Spain, (2004), and returned to the Olympiad scene in Tromso, Norway, (2014), where he earned his FIDE Candidate Master title.
He said that more than $500 million passed through the JFF, with an average $400,000 going to the parishes. “How is it that with more monies coming through the JFF that we are more in debt?” he asked. He said there must be change if the overall health and development of local football is to be realised. “Travelling around the Caribbean, I’ve realised that Jamaica is not respected no more. There needs to be a healing process. We have seen a steady decline in fortunes since 2009; Jamaica has gone from being a powerhouse to a lackey, in footballing terms. “I think that the JFF can support the parishes and not a person doing so,” Powell stated, in a veiled reference to Burrell’s near-blanket sponsorship of several parish leagues through his Captain’s Bakery enterprise. MORE IN DEBT WESTERN BUREAU: Having attained much success with Montego Bay United, businessman Orville Powell is now setting his sights on bigger goals. He desires to unseat Captain Horace Burrell as president of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF). Speaking at a press conference at the Blue Beat Bar and Lounge in Montego Bay yesterday, Powell said the time has come for fresh ideas, stopping just short of calling the Burrell administration of the island’s football as shabby. “We are now at a place where I call it decision time; time to change the direction of the JFF. Without saying anything further, this is my decision, I will be making myself available for the presidency of the JFF,” Powell said. His challenge comes at a time when world football is facing a raft of changes in the aftermath of the bribery scandal that has hit the sport’s governing body, FIFA, and which has resulted in several arrests of top officials, including CONCACAF President Jeffrey Webb, and, more recently, the suspension of its president, Joseph ‘Sepp’ Blatter, among other leading players in the game. “The work, for me, begins now and I will be engaging all the parishes to have meaningful discussions. I believe the future is with us,” Powell said. “They are saying the same thing that I am saying. “This decision was a timely one. A couple months ago, I would have never thought I would be sitting here. I have always been urged to do so, but what impacted me was that game against Nicaragua at the National Stadium. I saw how far our football would have been impacted had we failed to move on,” outlined Powell. With the JFF elections due in December, Powell has a relatively short time to secure the number of delegates needed. A former Western Confederation chairman and a JFF director, Powell gave a long list of woes besetting the federation, including a whopping $200-million debt burden.
Leg-spin bowler Damion Jacobs has credited coach Robert Samuels and captain Nikita Miller as the reasons for a turnaround in the batting fortunes of the Jamaica Scorpions.The Scorpions, who have jumped to the top of the six-team WICB first-class four-day championship at the midway mark, has been posting some of their best scores in recent years, the last of which was against the Leeward Hurricanes, who they defeated by an innings and 72 runs at Warner Park, St Kitts, last weekend.Led by a maiden century from young batting sensation Brandon King and another from wicket-keeper Devon Thomas, the Scorpions posted an imposing 550 for seven declared in their first and only innings.This was in reply to 243 made by the Hurricanes in their first time at bat. The Leeward, in their second innings, were bowled out for 234.”It has been a very good team effort for the last three games with our batting really clicking,” expressed Jacobs on the return of the team yesterday.”Kudos must go to the coach and the captain, who, during this period, have advised the players to go out and play their natural game, and it has been paying off.”The Scorpions, who in their first four innings only passed 200 runs once, scored 314 and 229 in their 132 runs win over Trinidad and Tobago Red Force prior to the Hurricanes encounter.They also made 224 and 112 for two in their rain-affected clash against Barbados Pride at Sabina Park in round three.Jamaica lead the tournament with 67.6 points ahead of title holders Guyana Jaguars 64.6. Barbados, with 47.2 points, are third.The tournament has taken a break to facilitate the holidays as well as the regional Super50 in January.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE11 theater productions to see in Southern California this week, Dec. 27-Jan. 2160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! QUESTION: What do California’s prison inmates have in common, aside from having been convicted of a crime? Answer: poor literacy skills. On average, prison inmates read at about the seventh-grade level. If we had invested in their education earlier, many of them would be employed and paying taxes rather than in jail costing taxes, and our prisons would not be overflowing. It costs over $34,000 a year to support a prison inmate, nearly six times as much as the $6,000 that Proposition 82 asks to provide a child with a year of preschool. Studies have shown that children who had the advantage of a quality preschool experience are less likely to be convicted of crimes and also less likely to repeat a grade in school and to require special-education services. Rigorous analyses by the Rand Corp. indicate that for every $1 invested in preschool, we save $2 to $4 in such costs. Proposition 82 makes quality preschool available to all 4-year-olds in California. Critics wonder why we need to provide free preschool to all children when about two-thirds of 4-year-olds are already enrolled and many parents can afford to pay for it. There are several reasons. First, many of the programs children are currently enrolled in are of very low quality. Any policy that increased access but didn’t increase quality would be a waste of money. To increase quality, we need to attract talented, well-educated people into preschool teaching. To do this we need to increase the salaries of preschool teachers, which are currently lower than the average salary of janitors, and require higher levels of education. Proposition 82 does both. It also creates incentives and support for thousands of low-paid preschool teachers to get a college education. By supporting pathways to a bachelor’s degree for preschool teachers, Proposition 82 would have an additional positive impact on the economic well-being of working poor families and communities. Poor families are not alone in having difficulty finding quality preschools they can afford. Many middle-class families struggle to afford the $4,000 a year that a part-day preschool costs on average more than tuition at a California State University. Studies show that children from middle-class families benefit from preschool. According to a 2003 study of Los Angeles County, child-care spaces existed for only 24 percent of the poorest quartile, or one-fourth, of families, and for only 29 percent of eligible children in the next quartile. A California Budget Project analysis found that 200,000 eligible children were on waiting lists for subsidized care. The real need is far greater because waiting lists do not include the ineligible but low-income children whose families cannot afford quality preschool programs. If we want to ensure the availability of quality preschool, we need to make it a public good, something in which all Californians are invested. We already do this for 5-year-olds who attend kindergarten. Given the evidence that 4-year-old children also benefit from educational experiences, we should do it for them as well. Despite our position as one of the wealthier states in the country, California’s children are among the lowest achievers in the nation. In a respected national test of reading skills, our fourth-graders score near the very bottom compared to children in other states. We can make excuses for this dreadful showing that we have many children from families who are poor or who don’t speak English at home. Or we can provide a program that helps children from those backgrounds and middle-class backgrounds as well be better prepared for success in school. Providing high-quality preschool to all children can help us move off the bottom of the chart. If we want more of our children to develop the academic skills they will need to become gainfully employed, taxpaying citizens rather than prison inmates, and if we want California to thrive economically, we need to invest in the education of the next generation. That investment needs to start with preschool. Deborah Stipek is a professor at Stanford University.
1 Bryan came through the academy at Bristol City Newcastle would have stiff competition from RB Leipzig if they want Bristol City defender Joe Bryan.The 24-year-old is a product of the Championship club’s academy has also been linked with Middlesbrough, Burnley and Wolves.The left-back started 41 league games last season, scored four goals and created three, with the Star reporting that Bryan would prefer to follow several other British footballers and move to the Bundesliga. Jadon Sancho and Reece Oxford and Ademola Lookman are three who have made the switch from England to Germany.The son of a heart surgeon, Bryan was labelled ‘level headed’ and ‘one of a kind’ by then manager Steve Cotterill in 2015 and he has become a favourite of the Aston Gate faithful.After a number of impressive performances for the first team in 2014/15, he was named in the PFA League One Team of the Season and continued his excellent displays in the Championship by winning the club’s Young Player of the Year award for a second year running in 2015/16.“I wasn’t always going to be a footballer,” explained in an interview in 2015. “I just played because I enjoyed it and until then I never thought I could make a career out of it.“I could have gone down the A-level route, gone to university and come out of it not able to find a job.“But when I was 14, I thought: ‘I’m going to be a footballer now’.”
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREThe top 10 theme park moments of 2019 The district plans to tally up the trash collected Wednesday, then revisit cleaned areas next week to see whether motorists are keeping the highway cleaner. Picking up litter on Los Angeles-area freeways costs the state $3 million a year, money that Caltrans officials said Wednesday could be spent on other highway needs if motorists cut back on litter. The state Department of Transportation dispatched 600 maintenance workers from its Los Angeles-area office Wednesday to pick up trash along the highways in a one-day effort to clean up the roads. Officials also encouraged Angelenos not to litter on the highways. “We need motorists to dispose of their trash appropriately so that Caltrans resources can be directed toward other freeway-maintenance efforts,” Doug Failing, Caltrans director for the Los Angeles-Ventura counties region, said in a statement. Each day, local crews pick up 100 cubic yards of trash – enough trash to fill the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum by the end of a year.
PITTSBURGH — It’s no surprise when a big event in the nation’s capital sparks a debate around the country and that’s exactly what happened on Thursday.The events in Washington, D.C., did little to move people from one side of the aisle to the other as most have had their minds made up on this subject for quite some time.We’re talking, of course, about whether Brandon Belt should do more to protect against called third strikes.Belt was rung up twice by home plate umpire Ryan Additon in the …
The San Jose Sharks outlasted the Vegas Golden Knights in double overtime to win Game 6 of their first-round series, 2-1. With a sudden-death goal by Tomas Hertl, the Sharks forced a Game 7 on Tuesday at SAP Center.After falling behind 3-1 in the series with the Golden Knights, the Sharks have battled back to even the series at three games apiece. Prior to Sunday’s game, Hertl said his team would force a winner-take-all Game 7, and he was the one to deliver in the end.Here is what Sharks …
6 December 2011After a brilliant course record 10-under-par 62 in the third round, Lee Westwood played it safe, carding a final round one-over 73 on his way to a two-stroke victory in the 2011 Nedbank Golf Challenge at Sun City, North West province on Sunday.With the win, he joined Seve Ballesteros (1983/84), David Frost (1989/90), Nick Price (1997/98), Ernie Els (1999,2000), and Jim Furyk (2005/06) as the only back-to-back winners in the 31-year history of the event.Interviewed on the 18th hole’s green after being presented with the winner’s trophy by South Africa’s Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe, Westwood said: “I’ve been coming here a long time, this is the ninth time, and it’s special every time I come.‘Probably the best round I’ve ever played’“I love playing this course, and yesterday was probably the best round I’ve ever played. It set me up to play conservatively today. It’s very satisfying.”Questioned about his journey from being one of the world’s top players to being an also-ran, and then returning to the top (he is currently world number three), Westwood said: “It’s all right when things go well and you are top of the rankings, but when you drop to 270 you find out more about the real person.“So to get invited back here and win back-to-back titles is a bit special.“Yesterday was very special,” Westwood added. “I drove well and made a few putts, which you’ve got to do round any course when you make 10-under.”Four rounds under 70Robert Karlsson was the only player who managed to break 70 in every round. He did it, just, with rounds of 69, 69, 69, and 68, the best round of the final day, to finish on 13-under-par 275, alone in second place. That left the big Swede with a cheque of $660 000 (approximately R5.32-million), not quite the territory of Westwood’s $1.25-million (approximately R10.07-million), but a serious Christmas present nonetheless.Jason Dufner, in his first appearance at the Nedbank Challenge, drove well, but struggled a little with a cold putter. Despite that, he finished in a share of third with Graeme McDowell, on 11-under-par 277.The Northern Irishman was up and down throughout the event, scoring some brilliant birdies, but also dropping plenty of shots along the way.Four successive rounds of 70KT Kim looked like he really enjoyed his first experience of the Gary Player Country Club course at Sun City. He was steady throughout, carding four successive rounds of 70 to finish alone in fifth, on eight-under-par 280.In contrast, Charl Schwartzel looked a little weary, and that was reflected in his play. He enjoyed good rounds of 68 in the first and third rounds, but a 74 in the second round and 72 on the last day meant he never challenged beyond the opening 18 holes.World number one Luke Donald never really managed to get going and failed to break into the sixties, carding rounds of 70, 71, 70, and 72.Poor final roundMartin Kaymer, along with Westwood and Donald, one of three men in the field to have reached the world number one ranking, was undone by a poor final round of four-over-par 76. That left him in eighth spot, on four-under 284.The bottom four – Simon Dyson, Anders Hansen, Francesco Molinari, and Darren Clarke – were all undone by at least one poor round: Dyson carded a 75 in the third round, Hansen closed with a 77, Molinari shot 77 in round two, and Clarke finished with rounds of 76 and 78.SeniorsAmerican Mark Calcavecchia claimed the seniors’ title, finishing on nine-under-par 207 after rounds of 71, 69, and 67.Bernhard Langer and Ian Woosnam shared second on 208, with David Frost and Nick Price tied for fourth, five shots further back, on three-under 213.They were followed by Tom Lehman (218), Jeff Sluman (218), and Mark O’Meara (221).Would you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo material