Want to serve on a Bar Committee?

first_img Want to serve on a Bar Committee? Want to serve on a Bar Committee? December 1, 2004 Regular Newscenter_img The annual committee preference form for Bar members seeking appointments for the presidential term of President-elect Alan Bookman will again only be available on The Florida Bar’s Web site this year.The forms will be posted at www.flabar.org beginning December 1. If you do not have access to a computer, you may call (850) 561-5600, ext. 6802, and request a form to be mailed or faxed to you.To apply to serve on a committee, members will have to fill out the committee preference form and submit it online, eliminating the need to mail or fax in the completed form. It will be presented in the same format as usual and should only take a minute or two to complete and submit.The move to an electronic committee preference form saves the Bar approximately $10,000 a year.“During my travels around the state many of you have expressed a desire to become involved in the work of the Bar,” Bookman said. “Your participation can really make a difference and now is the time to let me know.”Bookman said committee work is time-consuming and demanding, but is also extremely rewarding.“It provides an opportunity to have meaningful input into matters that are of great importance to our profession and to work with other lawyers with similar interests,” Bookman said, adding that in making the appointments he will consider pervious history of service to the Bar and local voluntary bar organizations. “Diversity in terms of gender, ethnicity, geographics and area of practice will also be of the utmost importance,” he added.Bookman also said for those who are presently serving on a committee, your level of participation and substantive contribution, together with the evaluation of committee chairs, will be carefully considered in making reappointments.There are roughly 500 appointments to be made, and typically 5,000 Bar members apply.If you are currently serving on a standing committee, check the Bar’s Web site at www.flabar.org to determine when your term expires. If your term expires in 2005, you must complete a new form to be considered for reappointment. If you are not currently on a standing committee, and wish to be appointed, complete the form and return it prior to January 14, 2005. If you are serving on a substantive law committee and wish to continue to do so, you also must complete and return this form by January 14, 2005, to retain membership on that committee.“I encourage you to apply and assure you that you will reap the rewards of your efforts,” Bookman said. “I will do my best to accommodate as many applicants as possible and I apologize in advance to those I an not able to appoint.”last_img read more